Sunday, April 17, 2016

Review: Makeup Revolution: Protection Palette Light/Medium, Strobe Balm Euphoric + Aqua Seal

Reviews:  Makeup Revolution London: Protection Palette - Light/Medium, Ultra Strobe Cream in Euphoria, and Aqua Seal Liquid Eye Primer
 
$12 -- Available at Ulta.com



$9 -- Available at Ulta.com


After hearing about Makeup Revolution cosmetics from my friend in Finland, I couldn't wait to try this line out! I've been waiting patiently for Ulta's Makeup Revolution end cap unit to fill up with actual products to try and just couldn't wait any longer. With digital Ulta coupons in hand (sort of), I surfed over to the website to put in an order. 

The Protection Palette in Light/Medium seemed like a natural starting place to try the line.  The palette comes in Light/Medium, Medium, and Medium Dark. The details:

Kit contains:
  • 3 Super Blending Cream Concealers (0.12 oz each)
  • Silk Touch Anti-Shine Pressed Powder (0.25 oz)
  • Contouring Matte Bronzer (0.14 oz)
  • Contouring Blusher (0.14 oz)
  • Contouring Highlighter (0.14 oz)

The Review:

Protection Palette:
Only the darkest color of concealer matches my face - the colors are a bit lighter than they appear in the picture. The top, lightest color works well for an eyeshadow primer on my dark eyelids though - so it's not wasted. The coverage is light to medium and buildable, to a degree. I wasn't expecting a high coverage product, so this met expectations.

The powder is an average coverage, average mattifying translucent powder with very little pigment. It does the job, but it's not going to take the place of my MAC or other powders. The blush was surprisingly pretty and not too warm. The highlighter was also surprising subtle, not too glittery, but it had enough shimmer to do its job. 

The contour color didn't even work as a bronzer on me, let along a contour color. It's far too red/orange to do either job well on my pale, pink-peach skin. It is, however, an amazing brown eyeshadow. I decided to give it a go mixed with Makeup Revolution Aqua Seal Liquid Eye Primer (mixed with brush to makeup a creamy eyeshadow) and it was stunning! The picture below doesn't do it justice. I'm glad I've gotten a great big pan of it in this palette, because I plan on using every bit of it!

A note about Aqua Seal - The product seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. It's called a liquid eye primer, and you can swipe it over your eye lid to increase the punch of color from your powder shadows. It also says "Seal" which it is not. It is a more than adequate powder-to-liquid or cream transforming product, but it does not seal or lock color down on the eyelid. I use the heck out of it, but I still need to use a sealing product if I want to get waterproof or transfer resistant wear out of my eye colors.
$6 -- Available at Ulta.com


Ultra Strobe Cream: I used the Ultra Strobe Cream in Euphoria rather generously on my cheekbones, eyelids and even below my under eye concealer from the palette. I was surprised by how subtle and smooth it looked. I could apply it under anything, and it looked great. I could even apply it over my powder after everything had been applied, just tapping it in with my fingertips. It simple melted into the makeup already there - completely seamless and smooth. I will be using the heck out of this! I liked this texture and effect of this even more than the MAC versions from this season!


For my makeup below, I tried to use only the Makeup Revolution Products listed above. The only things I used that weren't from the line were black Better Than Sex mascara from Too Faced, and Estée Lauder Perfecting Primer.

I used the darkest concealing cream under my eyes and over trouble spots around my face. As I noted above, I used the lightest concealer, along with a layer of Ultra Strobe Cream, as an eyeshadow base over my eyelids. I used the blush on the apples of my cheeks, and the blush mixed with the contour color as a sort of bronzer on my temples and cheekbones. I used the contour color wet, as I noted above, with Aqua Seal as eyeshadow and eye liner, with a little bit of blush on the brown bone.

On my lips I have a little bit of strobe cream for shimmer (which doesn't really show.)  I should note that Ultra Strobe Cream is not listed on the packaging as approved for lip use.  Do as I say, not as I do.  ;-)

 
Terrible lighting, and obviously, I used the camera on my phone, but but I was still very impressed by the colors!


The most surprising part of the product trial, was how well these colors wore. Everything stayed in place, true to color, for hours. No creasing under my eyes, no oranging or darkening of the color. I wish the picture could reflect how great these colors looked in person, but unfortunately it doesn't. Nor does the lighting in my bathroom. Let's just say, I can't believe the value I got for such a small amount of money!

If you get the chance to try this line out, give it a go. For low-cost, high impact cosmetics - this is a great option. 

Protection Palette - Ingredients:  Pressed Powder: Mica, Talc, Magnesium Stearate, Mineral Oil, Kaolin, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Polybutene, Dimethicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

Blusher: Mica, Talc, Magnesium Stearate, Mineral Oil, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Polybutene, Dimethicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Red 6 Lake (CI 15850), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035).

Highlight: Mica, Talc, Magnesium Stearate, Mineral Oil, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Polybutene, Dimethicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035).

Cream: Mineral Oil, Talc, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Ozokerite, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Paraffin, Phenyl Trimethicone, Beeswax, Mica, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).


Ultra Strobe Balm: Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Mica, Dimethicone, Ozokerite, Isononyl Isononanoate, Caprylyl Methicone, Propylparaben, BHT, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).

Aqua Seal Liquid Eye Primer: Isododecane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Dimethicone / PEG-10 / 15 Crosspolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you liked them! I feel they're quite a good bargain for the price.

    ReplyDelete