Sunday, March 27, 2016

Part 2: Lauder's Double Wear - Giving it a Workout

Like many social dancers, I've been looking for long-wear, transfer-resistant, waterproof makeup that will get through any social dance event. Summer milongas, worse - outdoor summer milongas - here in Texas put any makeup routine to the test. Finding cosmetics that can stand up to that kind of heat and humidity is pretty much like looking for one of these:





So far results have been great for eye and lip products, but mediocre for complexion makeup. However, after the 5th or 6th makeup artist recommended Estée Lauder's Double Wear line, I started to get my hopes up. I don't want to test drive these at a milonga, however. Seeing my makeup on my partner's jacket is not how I want to find out that the products failed. So I did the next best thing I could think of - interval training.

For my complexion makeup pictured below, I wore Estée Lauder's:
  • Matte Perfecting Primer, 
  • Double Wear Stay-in-Place Liquid Makeup (1C1), 
  • Double Wear Stay-in-Place Flawless Concealer.
  • Double Wear Stay-in-Place High Cover Concealer 2C Light/Medium
For finishing, and post-blotting later.
  • IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Poreless Finish Micro-powder - colorless. 
  • Mehron Setting Spray (Revlon, L'Oreal and Urban Decay make good ones as well, but Mehron just works a little better for my money and the Texas heat.)
For my eyes and lips, I wore my usual favorite waterproof and transfer-resistant colors:
  • Too Faced Shadow Insurance eye lid primer
  • Laura Mercier Eye Art Artist's Palette: Vanilla Nuts, African Violet, Truffle
  • Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eye Liner + Serum - Brown
  • tarte: the brow architect brow shaper, liner and definer in fair/light
  • L'Oreal Voluminous Superstar Mascara Waterproof Black
  • stila cherry crush lip and cheek stain - for blush.
  • L'Oreal Pro Last Lip Color:  "Timeless Rosé" #115


Let the challenge begin!
Me, with no makeup - moisturizer only.


Time for my Day Makeup Look. I applied my face makeup a bit more sheer than the foundation and concealer are capable of, but that's just personal preference. The products "set" well even after a few layers. Just be sure to use a colorless setting powder and setting spray.

My "Day" look - all of the cosmetics above, except for the Laura Mercier African Violet and Truffle shadows I used later for my "Evening" look.
Time to go work out!

I do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) on the bike, for about an hour every other day. On this day, I went as far as long as I could - about 70 minutes. (I only wore makeup to test the performance of the cosmetics. Wearing makeup while working out is not something I normally do, or recommend.)

Post-workout. Flushed and sweating, but my makeup hasn't moved.

After my workout, you can see my face is flushed and sweaty, but the makeup is still in place. I blotted with bathroom tissue to see if anything comes off. Of course the sweat showed up, but only the barest trace of color. I had a little color rub-off mostly at my hair line where I sweat the most. To be fair, I don't normally wear makeup all the way to my hair line. If I decided to while dancing, I'd probably use a facial antiperspirant such as Neat Feat 3B Face Saver Antiperspirant Gel for Facial Perspiration and Shine found here: http://amzn.com/B00B5N1QFY, to prevent "sweat-off" better.

At this point, if I were out dancing, I would just blot really well and apply colorless setting powder. That's essentially what I did below, but added additional color for my "going out" evening look.


Bath tissue after blotting my face, post-workout. Not much color - mostly just sweat.


Let's really see what this makeup can take. I took a shower and washed my hair. Would the makeup last through that?

As a matter of fact it did (mostly) . . .

Post shower - makeup is still there.

My face makeup is mostly still there. I've lost my eyebrows a bit from washing my hair, but just about everything else, even my lipstick, is still going strong. I blot again to see what color comes off.



Post shower blotting - lots of water, but not much color at all. The makeup is still going strong.


After my shower, and blotting once more, I see if I can still apply more cosmetics over what's already present - without streaking, caking or flaking. I touch up my eye makeup and eye brows, my lipstick and my powder (with setting spray once again), apply a little bit more concealer and I'm ready to go. Thanks to the hot shower, and probably still from the work out - I don't need to reapply any blush.

After workout and shower, and application of more dramatic evening color, my face makeup still looks like it did a couple of hours ago.


I knew the products would hold up pretty well, but I was very surprised at just how well!


No comments:

Post a Comment